Monday, August 2, 2010

Here we go again...

So.. on July 22nd Addison slid off the couch at daycare and used her arm to brace her fall. She complained about it hurting, and after a long night of wimpering cries we decided to go to Kids Care the next day. Friday, July 23rd, I actually had the day off so I thought, "Lets go to Kids Care and figure out what's wrong." So we did. Sat for 2 hours, only to have them do an exam (Addie didn't cry at all) and have them say they thought she must have just strained it, and not to worry. Give it a few days and she'll be fine!

A few days past and we notice she is still favoring that arm. She's using her hand a little, but only complains if her arm gets bumped. Now mind you, this is the same arm that she broke in December, resulting in surgery and two pins being placed in her elbow. This is why I thought it so important to get it checked out right away. BUT, I heeded the council of the physician and gave it a few days.
Monday, July 26th, I call the pediatrician, and of course its hard to diagnose over the phone, so they advise that it may possibly be Nursemaids Elbow, which is really common in kids 2-3 years old. I was again advised to simply observe and if no better to bring her in. So instead of calling and getting her in on Friday,... I decide to wait the weekend. Still no improvement! Again, I could tell she was favoring the arm, complained if it got bumped, but no swelling, very little bruise, and she acted as if nothing was wrong. . .

She broke the radius and the ulna. These pictures don't really do justice. The one bone you can see the obvious bend, and the other bone you can see the line where it is broken.

Monday, August 2, 2010... call the pediatricians and ask for their latest appointment in the day. We arrive and were in and out in 20 minutes! Addie sat through the x-rays all by herself and didn't cry or complain the entire time we were there. The pediatrician showed me the pictures of her arm. She had broken both the bones in her arm. The radius and the ulna. She had been walking around for 10 days with this broken arm!!!!!!!!! He spoke with the orthopedist and it was determined that Addie did NOT need to have surgery this time, and a simple cast for 3 weeks should do the trick.

Addie's favorite colors are Purple and Pink.. and since we did pink last time, we went with purple this time. She sat through the casting like it was nothing. Didn't cry, didn't flinch,squeal, nothing! She was interested in what they were doing and excited to have a purple arm!!

Addison is my hero! I do not know of any other child as strong and as brave as she is. I can't believe she went so long with a broken arm. I am furious at Kids Care for not doing an x-ray, and I'm frustrated at myself for not tapping into my "Mommy vibe" and taking her in sooner. Her cast has not slowed her down at all. She doesn't seem to be affected by it in the slightest...she just keeps on going!! I am so proud of her for being so tough! I love you Addison! Mommy is so sorry about the owie on your arm.
(these pictures were taken with my phone, so sorry the quality isn't the best)

4 comments:

Twirdles said...

That just reminded me of when your mom brought over Katie when she fell off your tramp and your mom kept moving her wrists saying that they didn't fill broken. So I had Katie wait for my mom to come home and then I went to work, only to find out later Katie broke both wrist! Quite amazing how much pain kids can tolerate. Hope she gets better! Angela

Young family said...

She is such a sweetie! And so tough!!!
I too remember when Katie broke her arms...

Unknown said...

Angela! What's funny is my mom and I were just talking about that and laughing at how she kept moving her wrists. I remember that well. I can still see her jumping off the trampoline, flailing through the air!!

Kristalyne said...

oh it just breaks my heart...poor little addie! she is soo tough...and sooo adorable. feel better soon little one.