Sunday, July 26, 2009

Happy 25th Birthday Christy!

Today is Christy's 25th Birthday! We love her and miss her so much more than words could ever fully express. There are great teaching and learning moments that come daily when you have kids, but especially when trying to teach them about loved ones who have passed and helping them understand why they can't be here with us.
We went to Grandma Cindy's house today and then went to the cemetery to see where Christy is sleeping. We get there and he runs up and asks Grandma Cindy "Is Christy here?" He keeps thinking he'll get to see her. He knows this is where we come to see her, and Kristian has always known that Christy "lives in the stars with Heavenly Father and Grandpa Hal"... But the thoughts and feelings he shares about Christy just melt my heart!

On our way home from the cemetery he says to me: "Mommy, Grandma Cindy is sad." and so I asked him why she was so sad..."She misses Christy! Christy is in the stars and she is watching us." Yes, Kristian, she is watching over us every day. He then looks out the window to the stars and says..."I can't see her! I can't see Christy! .... I want to see Christy, Mommy. I want to see Christy!" I know Kristian, Mommy wants to see her too.

It is such a hard thing to teach a young child about how we can't see her now, but that she's there in heaven looking down on us. I explained the best I could, but his sweet tender heart couldn't understand why we couldn't just go see her!

We got home and once again had to look up at the stars..."Christy will come down just for a minute to see me. She wants to see her Mommy and Daddy. I want to see Christy too! ... Mommy, I want to see Christy!" The tears just starting falling... my heart was so deeply touched by the innocence of that simple comment. Again I tried my best to explain, but his eyes were still filled with confusion and sadness as he tried to understand what Mommy was telling him.

It is such a sweet reminder to me of how important life is and how grateful I am to have the knowledge, faith and understanding that "Families Are Forever" and that some day we will be able to return to Heaven, up to the "STARS, to see Christy, Grandpa Hal, and Heavenly Father!"

We love your Christy! We miss you so much! Happy 25th Birthday!!

No comments: